Userpic

Muppfan
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 13 years ago

Hi all,

Planning on taking a trip to Scotland for 10-14 days, Will probably touch down in Edinburgh and then check out Glasgow. I would really like to visit the Eilean Donan castle but what else is worth visiting when im in Scotland?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 13 years ago

Scotland is a lovely place but it depends what you are into to be honest - there is the amazing beauty of the highlands and the lochs or the coastline all around but those areas tend to be very quiet and lacking people largely. Glasgow and Edinburgh are the main cities but there is also abderdeen and Inverness further north that are quite large

Are you talking about train travel or just a trip?

Userpic

Muppfan
Traveller
1 comments

replied 13 years ago

Well i havent decided yet, but i did an interrail for 1 month last year and it was great and easy to use the ticket so im leaning towards a countrypass for UK or a global pass depending on the amount of travel by train.

What about bus connections between edinburgh and glasgow and up to iverness, are tickets expensive or would it be more econimical to use busses and buy individual train and bus tickets?

the 5 days in 10 global interrail pass was about 160€'ish and the main routes im gonna go is edinburgh-glasgow-inverness(if thats the closest large city thinking of eilean donan...)
other than this im not going to do much long distance travel, but the plan may change depending on the things to see :D

Well im kinda into old buildings, churches, castels, scenery and the sort and my girlfriend that probably will come with me is more into gardens and shopping :D

so i guess its gonna have to be some kind of compromise :P

But the plan right now looks like, a few days in Edinburgh and Glasgow, then upwards to the eilean donan castle and inverness. and the rest is very open. :os

What about camping in scotland, is it allowed anywhere or just at sites?

Userpic

Lordmwa
Traveller
117 comments

replied 13 years ago

Turn up on the day tickets are quite expenisve but if you booked the main journeys a couple of months in advance and [ux]https://rail.shop/acprail/greatbritain[/ux] or nationalrail.co.uk then you would probably be able to get glasgow edinburgh and the trip to inverness or wherever for well under £10 each if you go on a specific train. Unless you are planning other bits in the UK i wouldnt reccomend the Interrail one country pass as there just isnt enough railway in scotland really, especiallly as you are only going to a few places

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 9 years ago

Definitely, Edinburgh Castle and the colorful St Giles’ Cathedral. Stirling Castle and New Lanark may also be very interesting for history-lovers )